Sunday, October 21, 2007

one little pill


Connection was being a peach today.
(Hah D I told you it's only SOMETIMES)
So I've decided to carpe diem,which is seize the moment fyi in French.
Ok I'm not really sure but anyway..

Sophie Jams is came home today!

Amin/Amen to that!

So Ramadhan has passed,and although I did not get to enjoy the last few days of fasting because it was that time of the month,I did however enjoy it while it lasted.
This year I even met up with an old friend who did remember my name(and looked even better than before (:)and who is infact coming to Damansara Jaya next year (:
I'll see you soon Chee Loong
Although Joyce did not manage to follow me to the last days of the bazaar this year,she's always welcomed next year.
And we still have the jelly in its packet ready to be made for you Cay.hahaha
After one month of suffering,insaf-ing,I kinda miss fasting.
Its a bittersweet relationship.
Then comes Raya.
Most people,unlike myself,have a kampung to return to.
Where you sit in the car waiting to get there,in where the iPods,phones,laptops,cameras and all electronic gadgets come in handy.
Or if you are like me do not get giddy in the car reading,will proceed to read everything(including the nutritional value of the potato chips you have been eating) and then grow tired and fall asleep.
Then your parents will usually stop for a break,usually lunch.And you have no appetite and want to proceed back to the car and continue your nap.
After the break,the journey continues and step 1,2 and 3 will repeat.
When you finally(FINALLY!)arrive your grandparents are already outside the door awaiting your arrival.
You stretch while your father is reversing inside and your grandfather is giving him signals whether to "gostan" here or turn there or whatsoever.
When the car comes to a complete stop,you can't wait to get outside and hug your grandparents and you enter the house which holds numerous memories of you and your cousins running around with the fireworks and your grandma screaming at all the girls to not dirty your new clothes.(the slit of my cheongsam tore and my hands will be full of rust and debris from the gate,and my face is like of an oil slick and my hair looks like I just survived hurricane Katrina)
And you feel guilty cos as much as you love your pops and nana you kinda wanna go back,but after a while you don't wanna go home!
Consider yourself lucky,for I do not have a kampung.
Neither does my father,my mother does but we only go back during chinese new year.
A few years back when my Tok Bak was still slive Raya was something worth looking forward too.
We'd leave EARLY in the morning after asking for forgiveness from our parents and a few photographs to my Grandparents place in section 16.
There all the men would go together to perform their prayers at a certain mosque,we women did ours at home of course.
Raya was and still is a great affair for the Sujaks.There will be about more than a hundred coming in and out of the house therefore The women would get the food ready,making sure the food was ready and the house was looking its absolute best!
Downstairs(it's a 3-storey house and Dr. Mahathir used to stay there so downstairs is the first,upstairs is the second and upupstairs is the third),this is where the kids,during that time me included would play Jaws,Ice and Fire,Pepsi Cola and what not.
Then Atiras baju kurung bottom will tear,Kak Trina will accidentaly hit Trisa and then she will cry and then Kak Trina scolds her for crying because its Raya you can't cry its bad luck then Trisa cries even more and then Hurin will say something and then we will fight and then we start pulling out each others hair.
Five minutes later when we hear the car of a guest arrive we stand by the door all poised,I admit I always stood straight and smiled demurely the first!We will salam the guests and bring them upstairs and come down again to play and laugh because we were fighting four minutes ago.
Then we go upstairs and eat bolognaise and lemang and rendang and I whom cannot eat spicy will run around screaming "HOTTTT!ICE!I WANT COKE AND ICEEEEEE!"The Trisa will laugh and tumpah sauce on her baju and then we run to the toilet and with the "miracle" hand soap and water we manage to get the stain off.
We are still there at about 6 and we usually go home take a quick shower and nap at times then come back.New guests have arrived and we(the girls,Sujakuoture)will be downstairs gossping about which Abang of Abang Neds or Abang Nafiks or Abang Nabils friend was the cutest.
I remember I used to have the biggest crush on an Abang we called Abang Simon.
I'm pretty sure he's mixed matsalleh and he would tell us ghost stories because I told him I love ghost stories (:
And then he "broke my heart" when he brought his girlfriend over hahahahha first I would sulk but then forget about him and move on the the most higly anticipated event of Raya(besides the fam+friends,food and money of course!)THE BUNGA API!
my mummy had to tie a handkerchief around my brothers mouth cos he was asthmatic then.
After that we eat,wathc tv,talk play and continue that for the next 4 to 5 days.
And then the open houses we all went together!
Even though Kak Trin and Tris went back to S'pore after a few days thy'd always be back soon.
And I'm looking at a picture of me and Tira.
And despite my unruly hair and two front teeth or actually,lack of,and Atira's lazy eye and "penyet"nose,we look like we are having the best Raya of all.
The fun the memories...
Its not like I don't like Raya now,it's just different.


No comments: